Colorado Authors’ League 2019 Awards Information
CAL members, you have already done the hard part: written a literary work that has been published this year. Now… take the next step and submit your work for a CAL Writer’s Award.
Our past finalists and category winners have said that becoming part of the awards process is definitely worth the effort. When asked what it meant to have their work recognized, they have said the experience was thrilling, encouraging, extremely gratifying, and inspired them on to their next project.
What would being recognized by a jury of your peers mean to you?
Winners will be announced at the CAL Annual Awards Event on Sunday, June 9, 2019.
Winners will receive:
- A $100 cash prize
- An engraved glass trophy
- Promotion on the CAL website
- All Winners and Finalists will be hosted by Tattered Cover Bookstore for a reading and book signing event
- All Finalists will receive a supply of fifty silver labels with CAL’s logo to set their work apart.
- All Category Winners will receive a supply of 100 gold labels as well.
- In addition, Winners and Finalists will receive Shelf-Talkers for placement in the bookstores and libraries that carry their books, and digital images for placement on blogs and websites.
- Winners and Finalists will also be featured at the Colorado Association of Librarians annual conference.
We look forward to hearing from you and… best of luck.
Please contact CAL Awards Chair, Daniel Ginsberg with any questions. DanGinsberg@DanGinsberg.com or 303.544.1012.
POETRY, SINGLE POEM: All forms, printed or e-book
- POETRY, COLLECTION: All forms, 3 in a collection or chapbook, printed or e-book
FEATURE ARTICLES: Travel, Trends, Profiles, How-to, Investigative, etc.
ESSAYS: Opinion, Humor, Inspirational, Personal, Memoir, etc.
CHILDREN’S PICTURE BOOK: Fiction or Non-Fiction
CHILDREN’S/YOUNG ADULT: Chapter book, Fiction or Non-Fiction
ADULT NOVEL: (over 40,000 words)
- Category A: Romance
- Category B: Mystery, Crime, Suspense
- Category C: Science Fiction, Fantasy
- Category D: Gothic, Horror
- Category E: Western
- Category F: Literary
ADULT NOVELLA: Any genre (17,500 to 40,000 words)
SHORT STORY: Any genre (under 17,500 words)
- Category A: Cookbooks, Travel, Self Help, Health and Fitness, etc.
- Category B: Historical
E-BOOK FICTION: Book length (over 40,000 words)
E-BOOK NON-FICTION: Book length (over 40,000 words)
SCREENPLAY: Any genre, any length, registered/copyrighted in the past five years (2013-2018)
STAGEPLAY: Any genre, registered/copyrighted in the past five years (2013-2018)
COVER DESIGN: Printed or e-book
- Category A: Children's
- Category B: Adult/Juvenile.
Contest Entry Rules
- Only original entries FIRST published in 2018, with the exception of stage and screenplays are eligible.
- A derivative of a previously published work, such as a novel published prior to 2018 that is based on an earlier published short story, does qualify.
- Work contributed to a larger publication (book of essays/poems) is acceptable, but only your work will be judged.
- Self-published work is eligible if it meets CAL bylaws and is available for public purchase – please indicate where it is available.
- Only CAL members in good standing can submit entries, including writing collaborators. Non-writing collaborators do not have to be CAL members.
- Please choose a category for your entry. If we have to shift categories we will notify you before making any changes.
- The entry fee is $75.00 per submission. After the initial submission, each additional entry of the same title will have a reduced submission fee of $50.00. Checks should be made out to the “Colorado Authors’ League”.
- Judging will be conducted independently by an out of state writers organization.
- Please send or deliver one (1) copy of your published work with a copy of your on-line entry form to Daniel Ginsberg, Awards Chair, 2616 Fairfax Street, Denver, CO 80207. All entries require a hard copy for judging. If you are entering an e-book, please make a copy of your e-book available for the judges.
- We will confirm receipt of all entries when received and will publish a list of entries when the finalists have been chosen, approximately April 15, 2019.
- Entries will be accepted beginning December 1, 2018.
- All entries must be postmarked no later than February 15, 2019.
Awards Submission Form PDF
Awards Submission Form Online